The featured Pokémon for the August 2022 Community Day will be Galarian Zigzagoon, the Tiny Racoon Pokémon! Community Day will start on Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 11 a.m. local time and end at 2 p.m. local time. And, as always, there will be an increased chance that a Shiny Galarian Zigzagoon (the coolest looking shiny of all, in this author’s opinion) will appear!
There will be timed research to receive an Obstagoon Hat, Glasses, Gloves and Post for your Pokémon GO avatar. You’ll need to catch at least 100 Galarian Zigzagoon’s to get all of the rewards, but it shouldn’t be that hard!
As always, Niantic has provided the opportunity to give them more money! You can purchase the Community Day Special Research story, “Field Notes: Galarian Zigzagoon” for $1.00 US or the equivalent in your local currency. We’ll update this story once we know what is in the special research.
What is Galarian Zigzagoon, Galarian Linoone and Obstagoon good for?
The most important question to answer for every Community Day is, why should I care about this Pokémon? Is Galarian Zigzagoon, Galarian Linoon or Obstagoon good for PvP or attacking Raids? Well, I have some not so great news about one of my personal favorite Pokémon. Galarian Zigzagoon currently comes in at #542 on the Little Cup Ranking and # 193 on the Little Cup Remix Ranking on PvPoke.com. Galarian Linoone comes in at #498 and #183 on the Little Cup and Great League rankings respectively.
However, Obstagoon, Galarian Zigzagoon’s final evolution, comes in #52, #111, #99 and #121 on the Little Cup, Great League, Master League and Master League Classic rankings on PvPoke.com respectively. It doesn’t make the top 200 normal attackers on Pokebattler’s Raid Attackers though.
What’s the point then?
Two words: STAR DUST. OK, that’s actually one word: Stardust.
With the 3x catch Stardust bonus, this is a great time to build that Stardust Savings and Loan account back up. I’m planning on popping six Star Pieces right at 11 and going as hard as I can to get as much Stardust as possible.
During the event:
- 3x Catch Stardust (The real currency of Pokémon GO.)
- 2x Catch Candy
- Incense will last three hours (if activated during the event)
- Lure Modules will last three hours (if activated during the event)
- 2x chance to get Zigzagoon Candy XL from catching (Level 31 and up)
- Snapshot photobombs
During and up to five hours after the event: (7 p.m. local time)
- One additional special trade (total of three)
- Trades cost 50% less Stardust
- Galarian Linoones evolved to Galarian Obstagoons will learn the Charged Attack Obstruct.
- Galarian Linoone will appear if enough Pokémon are caught from a Lured Pokéstop
- From 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. there will be four-star Galarian Linoone Raid Battles. If the Raid boss is defeated, Galarian Zigzagoon will in appear up to 300 meters around that Gym for 30 minutes.
- *Remote Raid Passes will not work on these Raids.
Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly called Obstagoon, “Galarian Obstagoon,” which isn’t technically wrong since Obstagoon is from Galar region, but putting the region name in front of the Pokémon’s name implies there are other regional variations, and there’s only one Obstagoon. It was quite offended that I implied otherwise.
Also, an earlier version of this article implied that Obstagoon wasn’t great at PvP, which it was also quite offended about.